Thursday 16 January 2014

Are You Hanging Around With the Right People?

"I believe that close association with one who refuses to compromise with circumstances he or she does not like is an asset that can never be measured in terms of money." Napoleon Hill
Think about the people that you hang around with. Do they encourage you, uplift you, and see you in your highest good? Or do they hold you back, fearful that you will leave them behind if you're successful? (There are probably a few people in your life that want you to do well, just not better than them.)
If you consider the income levels of the five people that you keep company with most, you'll probably find that your income is right about the average of theirs. What does that mean? If you want to reach a higher level of success, it's important for you to be involved with people that have already reached the pinnacles that you are pursuing. If you are the smartest, wealthiest, most successful person in your group of friends, it may be time to look for new people to attract into your life.
Oftentimes we are too intimidated to approach the people we admire, fearful that we won't be able to bring anything to the friendship. After all, "What do I have to offer them?" is a question that you may ask yourself.
Relationships happen over time. If there is someone you admire and want to build a connection with, look for ways to be of service - with no expectation of return. Perhaps you can volunteer to help them at their next event. Or run errands for them when they are overloaded. Or simply send them thoughtful articles and reference materials that you feel they would be interested in having.
When I attended the National speaker association  Convention in 2012, I had the pleasure of having lunch with Harvey Mackay. If you're not familiar with him, Harvey wrote a New York Times best-selling book called, Swim With the Sharks Without Getting Eaten Alive. Because this book was so pivotal in my sales career, I quoted Harvey in my newly published book. After lunch, I approached Harvey and expressed my gratitude for the difference he made in my career. I offered him a personalized copy of my book, which he graciously accepted. We took a picture together and I figured that was the end of it.
One year later, I received a call from Harvey. Not only did he read my book, he wanted to quote it in his syndicated news column. I was blown away by his offer, and accepted it enthusiastically. I saw Harvey again at the 2013 Convention and thanked him profusely. I am profoundly grateful that I had the courage to approach him and share my book with him.
Look for ways that you can add value to their lives, without asking anything from them in return. It will be a refreshing change for them, and you may find that they are much more approachable than you think.
# # #
PS - Simply by giving Harvey mackey copy of my book, with no expectation of return, I received an unexpected gift. Kindness works!
PSS - This article is the fourth in a series based on Napoleon Hill's book, Think and Grow rich." If you have not read this amazing book, please pick up your copy today. This book will change your life!
Lisa Ryan is the Founder of Grategy. She is a business keynote speaker, gratitude expert, and author of 6 books including "The Upside of Down Times: Discovering the Power of Gratitude." She co-stars in two documentaries: "The Keeper of the Keys" with Jack Canfield and "The Gratitude Experiment."
Written by:


No comments:

Post a Comment