Sunday 12 January 2014

I'll Fix That Later

About two hours ago, my hubby moved our Christmas Poinsettia because it was blocking his view of our 60inch television . But, the man large TV syndrome is another topic and another story. He crammed the Poinsettia under the second shelf of our coffee table. Of course you know that didn't work very well, plant three feet high, space between shelves two feet.
My poor plant was squashed and looking rather sad by this time. But, the part that really got to me was watching the leaves fall off on the floor and the dirt sprinkled about the leaves on my previously clean floor. If you have ever seen dried out Poinsettia leaves you know what I'm talking about.
You guessed it he looks over at me and says "I'll fix that later." Yes, it has been two hours and "later" still hasn't arrived. How many times have we all said this and later never seems to come. We then end up with so many "I'll fix that later" jobs that we end up with a cluttered mess and a big job on our hands.
I don't know about you but, I live by the old adage taught to me by a former boss. I was feeling overhelmed one day and my boss could see my tense body language, not to mention the stressed look on my face. Elizabeth asked me "Do you know how to eat an elephant?" I smiled and simply replied "No." Her answer "One bite at a time."
So it became "one bite at a time" and not "I'll fix that later" for me. This has been one of the keys to keeping my home clean, organized and clutter free.
I don't believe you can or should change others, only yourself. That is not to say you can't change how you deal with them, but you can't change them. The issue was not a discussion worth having in my opinion, remember pick your battles, save it for the big stuff. My beloved hubby of twenty-five years is not about to change and live by my adage. I accept it, just as he accepts I am not going to change and live by his adage. The art of the compromise!
You can still reach your organizing, decluttering and cleaning goals. I promise I did in a house with five children, two dogs and one husband. Now if you will excuse me, I am off to clean my floor.
written by:

No comments:

Post a Comment